Wednesday, April 17, 2013

We’re all in this together


We had a terrible tragedy happen on Monday in the United States. I’ll never forget walking into the lobby after a long day and having the front desk guys look at me in distress, point to the T.V., and say “Por favor! America!” The Brazilian news was showing footage of the Boston bombing. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who were hurt or killed in this tragedy.
Mister Rogers once said, "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." How true and beautiful that statement is. I keep hearing of people like this and it gives me hope for the world in times such as these.  
            When we came downstairs on Tuesday, we saw the front page of the Brazilian newspaper. The whole page was dedicated to the Boston bombing. What a cool experience to see that we truly are all in this together, despite language, culture, and distance.
           
            We have learned so much about language, culture, and distance through this trip. And, we’ve seen profound common themes of love, kindness, and unity everywhere. People have bought us gifts, given us incredible learning opportunities, taken us out to dinner, given us directions, gone out of their way to help us and get to know us, offered to drive us places, lowered prices for us, treated us like royalty, and most importantly given us the gift of friendship- true friendship. We are so thankful for the people we have met on this trip and we are so saddened already that we have to leave them soon. If you are reading this, WE LOVE YOU! MUITO OBRIGADA!

No comments:

Post a Comment