Sunday, March 31, 2013

Day 2


The alarm rang really early this morning because Molly and I stayed up late last night talking and laughing. I forgot to tell you that we met some really incredible people last night at church. It ended up that they spoke English, so we became instant best friends! We’re even “Facebook Official!” We hope to hang with them again soon. Anyways, when the alarm clock rang this morning we ran upstairs to the complementary breakfast (which was UNREAL by the way- everything good you could possibly imagine… even cake for breakfast) and then headed to Easter Sunday service at a nearby Catholic cathedral. It was beautiful. We sat in a packed church and saw how the locals worship. Even though we couldn’t understand what was going on, it was still a really neat experience. After that, we headed to the Sunday market! There were hundreds of vendors selling everything you can possibly imagine. It went on for what seemed like miles! We got a little sunburned as a result. Our next adventure of the day was to go to the Botanical Garden! We had to figure out how to ride the bus with this adventure. It was GORGEOUS! Gorgeous weather, gorgeous scenery, and we got to take a breather. And, if I thought I was burnt before, I was wrong. I am fried! But I have to say it feels good. As my brother Stu says, you have to get that first burn!!
            Life lesson for today: Communication. I think we have made communication a convenience instead of a privilege. I never would have thought about this until I had to be cut off from technology in such a drastic way. We are so thankful for the little bit of wifi that we have in our hotel (and we DO NOT take Skype for granted!!), but we still get frustrated at the transition! At home, I can just text someone because it might be “easier” for me. The thing is, easier is not usually better! Any type of communication should be a privilege. We were made to communicate so why waste this gift with simplicity! When we are out and about, there is no texting. There is no calling here. There is only going to a person to talk to them. So, if you get lost… GOOD LUCK! :) It has been SO cool and SO fun in that way. We love it- absolutely love it. Being in Brazil is like being on Parenthood (inside joke shout out to my wonderful roomies-miss y’all). 
We have SUCH an incredible group on this trip. We have done NOTHING but LAUGH and RELAX. We’re all in KeJuan’s room hanging now! So, until tomorrow :)

2 comments: