If I were comparing culture groups,
I would probably look at language, traditions, and economics. To me, language
stands out most because it puts a brick wall up immediately if you don’t know
the other language. It’s the most concrete aspect. In different places,
different languages are spoken, hence being a common culture difference.
Another is tradition. We can look at our American traditions and learn that
other places do things differently. For example, we have Independence Day and
Thanksgiving. Our red, white and blue flag has 50 stars and 13 stripes. We don’t
use the metric system and we love tailgating for football games. Other cultures
have different holidays, flags, and traditions. I am excited to see the
differences between here and Brazil! Finally, I would study the economics.
Different cultures have different economic backgrounds, simple as that.
These characteristics help us to compare, not define. So, as all these things are noted, I think that you cannot truly compare a culture group to your own until you experience the culture for yourself and get to know people from that culture.


No comments:
Post a Comment