Saturday, March 2, 2013

Who You Are and How You Teach


In what ways might a teacher's cultural identity influence the way they teach?

Your cultural identity is who you are! So, it’s obviously going to influence the way you teach. I don’t know all there is to know about other cultures, so I’m going to teach with what I know about. For example, I know a lot of Eastern North Carolina. AND I LOVE IT. So, I’m going to want to incorporate as much information as I can about this great place! But, I have to remember that everyone isn’t going to connect with that. I have to incorporate my students’ backgrounds and cultures into my lessons too. This is why we have to take it upon ourselves to find out about other cultures. We have to explore, travel, and make relationships with people who are different than us. I’m so excited to learn about a culture totally different than mine when we go to Brazil!


No comments:

Post a Comment